There are a lot of construction jobs to choose from. You can become a building surveyor and give technical advice about properties and construction. A building surveyor may have different roles, but his main job is to report on the condition of a building. Here are your other options.
* Site manager – As a site manager, you have to ensure that the project is completed on time and within budget. You need to manage teams of workers to guarantee the successful completion of the construction work.
* Building service engineer – This job involves ensuring that the water, power, lighting, ventilation, cooling and heating systems work. Building service engineers might work on the buildings design or ensure that the design is put into practice properly.
* Geotechnical engineer – A geotechnical engineer designs foundations and supervises foundation work on site. Basically, they’re responsible for the foundations of the building.
* Civil and structural engineers – They usually work together out on site, to ensure that the designs are applied properly. They can also stay in the office to work on the designs technical aspects.
* Structural engineer – They make sure that the structure of the building holds up.
* Architects – As an architect, youre responsible for designing the structure of a building.
* Architectural technologist – You need to make sure that the designs technical aspects work.
* Quantity surveyor – This professional ensures that the construction project makes a profit. Quantity surveyors determine how much a project would cost to build theoretically and in reality.
* Landscape architect – A landscape architect improves the quality of the surroundings by managing open spaces. They design public areas in the countryside, towns and cities.
There are different kinds of employers in the construction industry. One of these is the contractor that builds the project once the design has been finalized. If you’re going to work for a contractor, expect to spend most of your time working out on site.
Contractors can hire subcontractors if they need extra help. For instance, the contractor might need another team to take on steelwork or foundation work. Subcontractors usually work on site together with the contractors.
Consultants can also become your employer. They oversee the projects pre-construction stages on behalf of their clients. Those who work for consultants usually help design and plan the project.
What to Consider When Looking for a Construction Career
Think about what kinds of jobs you would like or dislike. You should also consider your weaknesses and strengths. You may work at heights on construction sites, so be prepared physically and mentally. There are a lot of careers available in this industry, and each job requires different years of experience. You can find entry-level positions where you can be hired as interns or trainees.
There are also supervisory positions, such as site superintendents and foreman. Work experience is valued in such positions. You can apply for managerial positions once youve attained mid-level positions. For example, you can be part of a project management team that takes care of the work flow, budgeting, and scheduling of the construction project.
Be sure the company that hires you is fully insured. This way, you can relax, knowing that you’re protected and can get compensation in the event that youre injured, or involved in a work accident.